Re: [ARSCLIST] creating access cd's

This discussion is no longer about access CDs... I wisj the subjkect line were accurate!

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

On Jan 27, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Don Cox wrote:

On 27/01/06, steven c wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
One of the biggest nuisances in Windows is that you cannot simply
back up C: in any simple way. Being used to the Amigas, where you can
simply copy all the files on the system partition to a CD, I find
this tiresome.

There is software available that allows a user to "clone"
drives...that is to copy the entire contents of a drive to another
one. However, with current drive sizes reaching 250GB and up...copying
your HD to CD-R's would be much like copying old 40 or 65MB drives to
floppies!

The problem really is the C: drive, which for some reason contains numerous uncopiable files. It ought to be possible to simply copy the system partition of a computer to a CD (perhaps with a second CD for fonts if the OS is very large). There should be no need to but extra programs.

The result is that the system usually does not get backed up, and the
equipment is unreliable.

For example. it would take over a hundred CD-R's to copy my 80GB HD, assuming it was pretty well full (which it would be if I could convert 78's to sound files, in short order...)

Backing up data files is not such a problem.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx