Re: [ARSCLIST] USB music card vs. onboard digitization

Joel Bresler wrote:

So my question: I am told that a computer can be a "noisy" environment in which to digitize audio. I'd welcome opinions about whether I am likely better off using my PC's sound card (it's a fairly high end HP Windows Media PC) or the Sound Blaster USB card, which would at least sit apart from the main unit and might offer a quieter alternative.

Rule #1 (at least, for me): If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If the sound of what you have is good, use it and don't worry about whether it could be better. Adding cards, killing existing audio, resolving interrupts and the like are worthwhile if the sound is not satisfactory for your purpose, but if it is good enough, use it. Check for the noise floor of the HP's card and see if you can pick up any persistent tones with spectrum analysis. Check the real dynamic range as well. Do all that visually with Audition or the like.

I doubt that you'll find audiophile assessment of a distinctly non-audiophile card such as the Creative. However, if it truly uses the ancient Ensoniq chipset it will be just fine. (The Live Value line used a modified front end which is useless for music. At least early on, the Live line used the Ensoniq.)

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/