Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs - long reply on CD methodology

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> steven c wrote:
>
> > Isn't what we actually have in a CD a "sandwich" of three layers?
> > There is a polycarbonate layer which is actually formed by a
> > negative stamper...a very thin layer of metal to enhance the
> > reflectivity of the readable surface...and a thicker acrylic
> > layer to protect the playing surfact.
>
> No, that's not what we have in a recordable disc but it is similar to
> that in a pressed disc. Considering the latter first, the acrylic
> lacquer is thicker than the metallizing, but hardly 'thicker' in any
> usual sense unless an overcoating has been applied.

I was thinking of pressed discs...or commercial CD's. It seems reasonable
that recordable discs wouldn't be "built" in such a way that their
content could be in any way renewed.

So, on a regular CD (not recordable)...could the protective plastic
layer be removed without affecting the pressed surface (which I
assume would be underneath the protective layer...right?). Or,
do the two plastics bond together in such a way that one cannot
be separated from the other?

And...how thick is the acrylic "overcoat?"