Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

Don Cox wrote:
On 14/01/06, Mike Richter wrote:

Manufactured CDs are much less likely to change than burned CDs.

Not necessarily. Major and minor publishers have used inks which corroded the discs. In addition, I have seen arguments that the life of a well recorded CD-R should exceed that of a commercial recording. Frankly, I find that unpersuasive: we know neither lifetime reliably so any assertion that one is longer than the other strikes me as compound guesswork.

A moulded pit in the plastic seems likely to be more permanent than a
light-induced chemical change which can always be further changed by
more light.

I agree - and therefore said that I found the argument unpersuasive. But, again, we have no supporting data.

Including CDs that cannot be read with standard players today.

A disc compliant with the red book and well written can be read in any
player compliant with the standard.

But not if it has aged badly. Future forensic players should be able to
extract information from damaged or faded disks which cannot be read by
normal players on today's market.

Surely - in fact 'unreadable' discs can be read today by agencies with the tools and methods to do so.

What does surprise me is that nobody has yet set up a business to remove corroded aluminium coatings from aging disks and re-coat them. There has to be a chemical process which will remove aluminium but not affect the polycarbonate.

It's an interesting hypothesis and there are certainly agents which will remove the acrylic lacquer and the metallizing layer (aluminum only in a pressed disc, irrelevant to this subject). There's little chance that such a process would leave the surface so smooth that replating it would allow recovery of the information without extraordinary tools.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/