Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

On 14/01/06, Mike Richter wrote:

>> Manufactured CDs are much less likely to change than burned CDs.
>
> Not necessarily. Major and minor publishers have used inks which
> corroded the discs. In addition, I have seen arguments that the life
> of a well recorded CD-R should exceed that of a commercial recording.
> Frankly, I find that unpersuasive: we know neither lifetime reliably
> so any assertion that one is longer than the other strikes me as
> compound guesswork.

A moulded pit in the plastic seems likely to be more permanent than a
light-induced chemical change which can always be further changed by
more light.

>> Including CDs that cannot be read with standard players today.
>
> A disc compliant with the red book and well written can be read in any
> player compliant with the standard.

But not if it has aged badly. Future forensic players should be able to
extract information from damaged or faded disks which cannot be read by
normal players on today's market.

What does surprise me is that nobody has yet set up a business to remove
corroded aluminium coatings from aging disks and re-coat them. There has
to be a chemical process which will remove aluminium but not affect the
polycarbonate.

Regards
--
Don Cox