Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> It's an interesting hypothesis and there are certainly agents which will
> remove the acrylic lacquer and the metallizing layer (aluminum only in a
> pressed disc, irrelevant to this subject). There's little chance that
> such a process would leave the surface so smooth that replating it would
> allow recovery of the information without extraordinary tools.

Some thoughts...

Isn't what we actually have in a CD a "sandwich" of three layers?
There is a polycarbonate layer which is actually formed by a
negative stamper...a very thin layer of metal to enhance the
reflectivity of the readable surface...and a thicker acrylic
layer to protect the playing surfact.

Now, do these layers bond at all? Can one simpply "peel off"
the acrylic layer and expose the playing surface without
damaging that surface...or are the layers bonded in such
a way that they cannot be separated from one another?

Second odd thought...once we have perfected a "light-ray"
laser 78 player, could we not put a layer of clear plastic
on the 78 surface, so it cound not be damaged?