Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more!

Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

It is very tempting to me to start digitizing everything I have and dumping it into the Internet Archive, posting it on a Newsgroup, or placing it on a transient web page on AOL or Roadrunner just in the hope that it will end up somewhere that will last for a generation or so.

However the rights issue is a real deterrent to this. If I were totally without financial resources, this might not matter. But I have to finance retirement.

This is why a "permanent" hard medium is so desirable. It would allow the digital files to be passed on to a time beyond copyright or at least beyond the time when I could care.

Perhaps I am in error, but as I read copyright law an individual has no right to make such a copy of an audio recording fixed after 1923 (and, perhaps, without that limitation). Regardless of your intent, without respect for its availability, and independent of its fragility in its present form, if you are not holder of rights in the record, you have no right to make a backup.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/