Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more!

An old saying "Eternal Vigilance Is the Price of Safety" is appropriate.
There is no "permanent" storage. File and forget does not work, although it
would be nice. Knowledgeable archivists verify initial quality, periodically
sample test the archive to detect any deterioration, copy the material if
degradation is detected, any port to newer technologies every 10-20 years.

Time and dollar budgets must include the above activities. We all benefit
from low cost, high volume consumer products that we divert for long-term
storage, but cannot assume that they are always suitable for that purpose.

Jerry Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.