Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more!

In a message dated 1/13/2006 10:08:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Add to that the copyrights and how they inhibit archives. Then I consider how
the copyrights inhibit the private sector from participating in the
process of digitization.
*************

It is very tempting to me to start digitizing everything I have and dumping
it into the Internet Archive, posting it on a Newsgroup, or placing it on a
transient web page on AOL or Roadrunner just in the hope that it will end up
somewhere that will last for a generation or so.

However the rights issue is a real deterrent to this. If I were totally
without financial resources, this might not matter. But I have to finance
retirement.

This is why a "permanent" hard medium is so desirable. It would allow the
digital files to be passed on to a time beyond copyright or at least beyond the
time when I could care.

Mike Csontos