Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

Not to be a pessimist about this, but unless you've ever performed component level troubleshooting and replacement of surface mount
components as I have done over the years, I have no doubt that eventually there will come a day when the printed circuit boards will become unreparable. Actually, that day has been with us for some time already.

Sony for one , when addressing broadcast devices, will only recommend the replacement of an entire pc board. The subminiturization of electronics has dictated multi level boards 2 and 3 layers thick.
This means that the run which occurs on the surface of one board, may go through 2 or 3 layers of runs befor it surfaces on the next visible layer. At least Sony will provide schematics of their electronics- even if the repair is not feasible.  I doubt that many computer based technology manufacturers will do that. In most cases , they will want you to return the unit to the factory for repair, and they will simply replace the defective board.Which leave you at their mercy or existance.  And when the product becomes " obsolete" or the company goes under, the board level replacements won't be available either.

And unless you're set up to solder and unsolder subminiature IC's some
with as many as 100 or more legs per side - 400 legs total- repair and troubleshooting just isn't possible.And components which are much smaller to fit on these subminiaturised boards.  Capacitors used on these boards have a life span rated in HOURS. And the cheaper the component, the lower life rating it will have.

Disassemble a defective pc hard drive  or a camcorder or IPOD of a couple of years age and have a look at the electronics and you'll see what I mean..

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx 1/13/2006 7:07 AM >>>

Replacing is better than repairing. I always inventory two or three "good"
models. Although their lubricants may harden over an extensive period, that
can be remedied by cycling the drive or by opening it and relubricating the
rails. Those who have the talents to repair cylinder machines should be
capable of opening a CD/DVD drive.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.