Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

Funny thing is that in those cases, Obie did use a number of legitimate names!
I have Erich Kleiber and Leo Blech (nobody would make up a name like that) on
Royale and Monkey Ward, credited as such. There were also some legit recordings
made in New York by chamber groups and soloists, some modern American music was
recorded by Royale during the label's early days, and these existed alongside
pirate recordings such as the Schumann Violin Concerto (Kulenkampff, issued
anonymously).

There was a very odd situation years later where names of real conductors were
used on a label called Aries, for performances with which they had no
association at all..the sources were often BBC transcription tapes. I know of
another label that did this in the 80s (and which carefully used only names of
deceased conductors) but this story can't be told until all participants are
laid away.

dl