Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

Amazing, isn't it? Not only did Obie steal European recordings (in addition to
occasionally obtaining one or two by legitimate means and crediting the
artists, such as Marian Anderson and the Quintette of the Hot Tub of France),
he also seized opportunities wherever he found them. When rubber was in short
supply during the war, Firestone stores found themselves without their main
product (tires) so Oberstein launched a line of records they could sell, on the
Philharmonic label. You'll find Mengelberg's Tchaikovsky 6th in there, along
with other purloined performances which also turn up on his Music Appreciation
label (where I've also found a couple of Jules Bledsoe sides, uncredited, and
not listed in Rust). Crazy business. And of course the anonymous Varsity sides
were eventually transferred to LP, so 1950 music lovers could purchase
Mengelberg's 1812 Overture legitimately reissued on Mercury or save a couple of
bucks and (unknowingly) get the same performance on Varsity, probably by the
"Rome Opera Orchestra" or some such.

dl