Re: [ARSCLIST] 101 strings collection up for grabs LA area

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Many of those labels offer what *may* be interesting selections, but the
> names provided - if any - are often fictions. Essential information on
> labels such as Plymouth is not available on the disc or packaging, so
> their value for collectors is nil. (Of course, someone seeking all of
> the Varsity issues may not care what is recorded on them, but that is a
> rather odd sort of collector indeed - at least, IMHO.)

Well, minor labels...and, even to a sad extent, major labels...have
tended to assume that their clients aren't interested in all the
nasty discographic details! And...anybody looking for Varsity reissues
descends headlong into the morass of Obie's dealings...where details
are often lacking because if the source were identified court dealings
would rapidly ensue!

I'm fairly sure that the Orchestras identified on the labels of
my half-vast accumulation of Royale (et al) 78's existed only in
the minds of whomever was in charge of creating pseudonyms!

Then, again...since we were shooting at Germans when these were
issued, I don't suppose there would have been a lot of enthusiasm
about the exchange of discographic minutiae with the aforementioned...

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/