Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Judson" <inaudio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Oh, of course I know he meant rock n roll - I just never saw any on 78s!
>
> Do you make a differentiation between rock and rock and roll? If so
> please elucidate - rock is short for rock and roll in my world... and
> if there are any rocknroll 78s I'd like to know!
>
> Though I do have a CD called "Rock Music" which is made by tapping on
> tuned stones, but that is another matter entirely!

1) Although the definitions are not really universally accepted,
my strict definition of "rock'n'roll" is the style of music that
was prevalent from c. 1954 to c.1965. The term originally referred
to the dance that was done to the music (a sort of "modernized
jitterbug" and that called for a fairly fast 4/4 rhythm, either
a shuffle or the later straight 4/4 time with the third beat
emphasized. "Rock" refers mainly to the music of the late sixties
and beyond; instrumentally more complicated than its predecessor
(for example, Jimi Hendrix) and MUCH louder. It is sort of "I
can't completely explain it, but you'll know it when you hear it"
situation...

2) Since the rock'n'roll era started no later than 1955, when
Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" became very popular, there
exists a lot of r'n'r on 78...which were pressed until 1958 by
US major labels (1959 in Canada!) and into early 1960 by indie
labels like Chess (which had a lot of r'n'r hits). In my own
collection, I have 78's by Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, Elvis,
the Coasters, the Everly Brothers and a large assortment of
"one-hit wonders!" I grew up in the r'n'r era, so my
accumulation of r'n'r 78's helps bring back memories...

Hope this helps!