Re: [ARSCLIST] electronic reading of physical media, was: Preservation policy question

Tom Fine wrote:
One place where this sort of thing would be very useful -- if it's not
already being done, is scanning old optical soundtrack films that have
shrunken or edge-decayed so they don't work reliably in a sprocket drive.
Perhaps there's some rubber-roler way to feed them through a scanner and
then "play" X number of sprocket holes per second or some other means of
playback. Like I said, know Hollywoods brains and deep pockets, this might
already be out there and in use.

-- Tom Fine

Unfortunately, "Hollywood" has little interest in such matters. A friend then at Warner's (he now runs a media lab at Microsoft) brought me such a problem. We did some preliminary work on recovery of optical tracks using gray-scale scanning and optimization techniques to find a best-estimate audio track, exploiting the nominal symmetry of the (monaural) signal. He presented our preliminary results and a plan for recovery on a substantial scale.

Interest: nil.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx