Re: [ARSCLIST] electronic reading of physical media, was: Preservation policy question

Lou Judson wrote:
This is great food for future-thinking - does anyone think it will eventually become possible to make an image scan of a disc and have the computer read it, in the way a scanner and OCR can turn documents into type or ASCII code? And eventually magnetic tape might be read, the way we used to use chemicals to make magnetic patterns visible? I would think it was easily possible given advanced anough computers and software...

Sure. The steps are straightforward for some media, unclear for others. Begin with an optical track on film, then a magnetic track on film or conventional tape. The leap to a lateral track on disc or cylinder using an optical detector is substantial but not out of the question (particularly given the existence of the laser turntable). Now, a vertical track or stereo would be a real challenge.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/