Re: [ARSCLIST] obituary - Franz Jolowicz, Discophile NYC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Hirsch" <punto@xxxxxxxx>
> I am glad to hear an all too rare bit of record collector chatter on
> this list for a change since I have next to no knowledge to the
> technical side of recording and one could get the impression from
> reading the postings on most days that the list of the Association of
> Recorded Sound Collections has no interest how people actually come to
> have these collections or find themselves charged with their care. I
> have found much of the technical discussion and debates on issues,
> particularly copyright, informative at times, but I have a much more
> emotional attachment to the content and have a lot more to say about it
> than I do regarding bitrates, fair-use clauses and the like.
>
> Not really a carp or criticism, just an encouragement to kindred souls
> to post more.

Well, I have long had the impression that ARSC is mainly an organization
for institutional librarians and the like as opposed to "ordinary
record collectors" who congregate on the 78-L list (much less formally).
Since many of the institutional collections cover a much wider range
than merely commercial record issues...and, as well, some are mainly
archival in nature and maintained for public access as opposed to
private pleasure...I would expect its related e-mail list to cover
different issues (which it does)...