Re: [ARSCLIST] Incredible savings on DC6 for this week only

ericj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wednesday, 2005-11-23 at 20:22 -0500 wrote:
>The digi-EQ in DC6 is not that accurate in terms of RIAA accuracy.  The
>makers of DC6 will insist that 0.5 dB error is not a big deal - and for
>78s that's probably true.  But for RIAA LP/microgroove and even NAB
>acetates, that 0.5 dB does make a very audible difference to me.

The forensics version of DC-6 (which I use quite often) has EQ possibilities
to flatten anything to 0.1 dB or better.  You can use a pink noise LP (such
as the B&K disc that I use) to tweak the DC-6 RIAA curve to near perfection.
Once you've done that, you can trust its performance very well.

Of course, I still have clients who insist that I use their fancy tube-based
phono preamps and that's okay with me if they like tube distortion.  (Let's
not even talk about how much more than 0.5dB off RIAA they may be!)  However,
in all the many LP transfers that I have done in the last few years using
many, many combinations of equipment, the best results for me so far have
been with a laser turntable running through a flat preamp with DC-6 RIAA
tweaked via pink noise.

Like Richard, I don't get any kickbacks for recommending DC-6, but I heartily
encourage you take advantage of their holiday special while it lasts.  It is
a terrific tool for the money.  In fact, depending on what you need to do, it
may be the only tool you need.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxx>