Re: [ARSCLIST] Incredible savings on DC6 for this week only

Hi Eric,

Eric Jacobs wrote:

The digi-EQ in DC6 is not that accurate in terms of RIAA accuracy. The
makers of DC6 will insist that 0.5 dB error is not a big deal - and for
78s that's probably true. But for RIAA LP/microgroove and even NAB
acetates, that 0.5 dB does make a very audible difference to me.

With the accuracy of digital, isn't it possible to tweak the curve to become accurate? You'd think this would be a given what with the many more increments possible with 32 bit, 44100 (my CoolEdit Pro) or even, 32/96K.

The challenge for any digital EQ is that the number of digital filters
required to reproduce the EQ accurately will also potentially add
digital artifacts. How to balance accuracy versus digital artifacts?

What digital artifacts are to be heard? So far, the only artifacts I've been aware of are due to over use of specialized FFT, hiss and surface noise reduction filters. If anything, I've been able to minimize distortion in some recordings by dropping selected frequencies (in a choral recording, it was at 2.8K, but very selectively and carefully done). The great thing is "what you hear is what you get", and multiple "undo's" allow unlimited experimenting. Thank God for digital!!

I use the digi-EQ in a Cube-Tec Audiocube - but that's a 64-bit native
system, which is how they address the accuracy versus artifact problem.
The digi-EQ in the Cube-Tec also builds it's EQ curves using the exact
LC filter equations for bass turnover and treble roll-off - no need to
tweak a multiband equalizer to approximate the EQ curve.

My CoolEdit Pro has 30 band capability, so there's a lot of tweaking possible, I would think. Anyway, what would be the audible results in tweaking, in your experience?

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions