Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Karl Miller wrote:

Mike raises an interesting point.  Consider the situation where a school
records a performance of an undergraduate who, over time, becomes an
internationally recognized performer. Their graduate recital can be part
of the dissertation and right might have been transfered to another
agency. Should a school be allowed to raise funds by selling copies of
past student recitals?

I'll not address the rest of Karl's post; my incompetence will show sufficiently here.

The student's recital is part of her education. She has no rights to any recording made; it belongs to the school. The situation is similar when student notes are compiled and elaborated into a text; there, the rights are usually jointly held by the school and the instructor depending on the elaboration. That is my understanding as of many years ago when Halmos's math materials and Fermi's on physics were published for use in later classes.

My understanding is that in practice under the conditions described the school would be likely to ask for permission to issue the material, but that that would not be essential to publication.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/