Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Hello Karl,

I've watched the back and forth discussion re: copyrights with much interest for a personal reason. During my personal time, I've been remastering to CD recordings from 1/4" master tapes that were made from 1951 to 1955 at small western college that I attended. In fact, I was a member of the choral ensemble that was the subject of the recordings, so I guess that would make me one of the artists. Also, the tapes were recorded by a local engineer/dairyman (his hobby), and then, used to make two commercial releases by Columbia Masterworks. There are about three more LPs that were released on Columbia's minor labels (Harmony, Epic, etc.). However, the masters have remained in the possession of the succeeding conductors of the choir, and only recently were given to me for remastering. I have sold a small number of the CDs to choir alumni (also, the "artists") who requested them, the cost of which, used to cover my minor costs, and the balance sent to the current college choir fund (a charitable donation). The main thrust of this remastering is to be part of an archive at the college which we alums are trying to set up, so that there will be a history for the ongoing ensemble carrying on the tradition, and others that can take pride in the achievements that have been carried on at the school.

So far, the current director of the ensemble, one of the school of music professors, says that my remasterings are much better than the Columbia LPs, but I credit that to the digital tools that I use today that weren't available to the Columbia engineers. Anyway, I feel that these are substantially improved recordings and changed in the process.

I guess I'm asking what the potential sale of these new renditions to the public could trigger? Or, is just the private sale to alums legal? We wish to generate revenue to help set up the archive. Again, remember, the masters were produced by our own engineer and returned I would guess after submastering to LP (the director who conducted and took the masters has passed on, so I don't have any direct knowledge of the process). I'm pretty sure that these are the original masters due to the writing and EQ settings on the tape boxes, and the manual splices and manual editing.

I'd appreciate any input on what I feel is a unique situation.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

Sure I support the notion of copyright...but then...I think of the seminar
I teach on American Music. I have interviews I recorded with Copland, et
al...Goossens conducting the Fanfare for the Common Man...Copland
conducting his Inscape with the Boston Symphony...Stokowski and the NBC
Symphony Orchestra stumbling through the Short Symphony (providing a great
illustration as to why the work wasn't performed much in the early
years)...all are things that I play for my class to support their
understanding of the subject. Strictly speaking, all of these copies are
illegal...and then, I can't play for them Koussevitzky conducting the
Copland Third, nor can I enrich my discussion of the music of Edward
Burlingame Hill by playing the Koussevitzky broadcast of the Hill Violin
Concerto...both remain locked up in the Library of Congress.

I guess I believe in the concept of the right to reasonable access. I
can't send my class to the Library of Congress to hear the Hill Concerto
or Koussevitzky conducting the Copland Third.

In the rest of the world, those performances would be public domain.

Karl