To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 78's and PD, was Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of treasures

If your question refers to the United States, the answer is 0 per cent.

Richard

At 09:36 AM 10/7/2005, you wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what percentage of commercially-produced 78's are
now in the PD? When, for instance, CBS/Sony re-issues Duke Ellington 78's as
multi-CD collections, are those now re-copyrighted for 50+ years? And what
about that guy Joe Buzzard down in Maryland -- is he just flying under the
radar or is it perfectly legit for him to reissue all of his obscure blues,
country and bluegrass 78's? He comes off as a somewhat goofy collector, but
I get the sense he's a very shrewd business man too, and I wouldn't be
surprised if his venture is pretty profitable even though it seems
labor-intensive. I've read several interviews with him, but he never
squarely addresses the copyright issue except to say he's never been pursued
or prosecuted.

-- Tom Fine