Re: [ARSCLIST] 78's and PD, was Curatorial Responsibility, formerly Copyright of treasures

Prentice, Will wrote:
Mike Richter wrote:

"in Europe if one takes a recording of a PD work from a recent LP or a current CD, it is still PD"

Maybe 9 months ago or so I was told by someone who's job it is to know,
that this was a widely acknowledged grey area in EU law. Up to that
point at least, this assumption had never been tested in a court of law.
Some assume such a recording is PD, others that it's copyright of the
re-issuer.

Will

I have no link to offer, but I read recently that there had been a ruling in a lower court which formed the understanding I expressed.

Most issues of this sort are unclear and will assure attorneys of income and courts of activity for some time. Does a new cadenza justify copyright? A new set of ornaments? A new realization or orchestration? On the question of reissues, is it enough to offer it in a new format? How much processing (and how measured) restarts the clock?

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/