Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Steven C. Barr wrote:

Although there are subtle differences in musical performances
that are played from "written" scores (i.e. most classical
performances, as well as dance bands playing from music)
It is only in more recent decades that the majority of
musicians "made it up as they went," meaning that any
recorded performance can be musically specific.

It's like the difference in identifying alternate takes
of a dance band playing from a "stock" and, say, Duke
Ellington...

I'm sorry, but I must disagree - again, from a primary interest in classical vocal performance. The music, in the sense of the score, is only the beginning of the performance. Apart from improvisation which is essential in classical music as well as in popular, the differences in performance are substantial even from a single performer.

On the other hand, I agree that there are excesses and commited (commitable?) aficianados seek every note from every performance even where near equivalents are readily available. There was great excitement among the Callas fanatics when I discovered a good recording of an opera she had recorded commercially and of which two superior broadcasts (from the same year and the year before) were already in distribution.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/