Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Is this for Lou Curtis and the San Diego Folk Arts
festivals?
I attended many of those. I grew up in San Diego, and
since my mother continues to live there I went to most
after I moved away until I left for Memphis.

Are you sure there was no agreement about recordings?
Unless they were under exclusive contract (a rarity
for folk and older performers) the artists were free
to record. You can get them to agree after the fact
for the recordings to be issued. If the performer is
no longer alive then you may need to deal with their
heirs, who are often more problematic than dealing
with performers.

I assume that there are also photographs to go with
the recordings. Since Virigina Curtis took many. I may
even have some photos myself, although I don't
generally like stage photos. I know I have a couple of
Sam Chapman in San Diego doing a workshop.

Dr. Cheryl Thurber email: cthurb@xxxxxxxxx