Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

This is where being a true "archivist" comes in.

We're not doing it because it will necessarily mean something in our
lifetime.

We're doing it in the hopes that in 100 years or more, if our audio is
lucky enough to have survived, that future generations will be incredibly
grateful that someone rolled tape, even if the artist objected.

Imagine if say, some notoriously temperamental artist like Mozart or Franz
Liszt had demanded that no one record them playing piano, but some sound
engineer rolled tape anyway...

Who amongst us would say that is was a good thing that the engineer
respected the artist's wishes at the time?

Especially if like every true archivist I know, it was done for the love of
preserving history for future generations, not for material gain...

dave nolan
92nd St. Y
(where we most decidedly DO NOT record artists who say no...)