Re: [ARSCLIST] Advise sought on portable recorders

If I had to buy right now, for the next couple of years, I'd probably settle
for the latest MD format, but make sure to get the "MD pro" or "MD enhanced"
kind which allows regular full-fledged WAV recording and has a genuine USB
hookup so you can drag-drop the WAV files onto a computer. MD seems to be a
somewhat robust storage medium, but I'd want to record in WAV and back up
the WAVs to hard drives and CDR's for editing and archiving.

>From what I've read -- and based on price/features value, I can't recommend
any flash recorders yet, but their time is coming. The way these things
progress -- and considering everyone's going to be stealing ideas from the
success of iPod vis-a-vis miniaturization, user interface and
computer-hookup ease -- I think in 2 years I won't recommend MD under any
circumstances.

Full disclosure -- I never bought into MD and still use a Sony Pressman
cassette recorder to do voice interviews. I'm looking more for audibility
than pristine sound in that case. For portable music recording, I use my
laptop and a full mixer/mic rig.

-- Tom Fine