Re: [ARSCLIST] USB/Firewire v PCI card was : [ARSCLIST] Reducing soundcard/cir

Mike,

I think the issue is broader than that. The FW and USB interconnects are native to the PC's OS (in most cases), while the AES and LightPipe are two-step processes. I think it's really implementation dependent. I suspect we can hear horror stories about any one approach depending on implementation/system configuration.

On the other hand, I think all approaches can work well in most implementations.

I bought into the dedicated PCI card approach in 2003 because that seemed to be a good choice at the time. In 2004 when I bought my laptop, I made sure it had USB and FW ports on it for future audio use (as of yet not implemented).

I _think_ the more cost-effective interfaces may end up being USB due to potential market size.

Remember, audio (especially only stereo audio) is a small percentage of either USB or FW400's available bandwidth.

My opinion is, all else being equal, cut out the middleman PCI card with the proprietary, AES/EBU, or LightPipe interface and go with the industry-standard port (USB or FW). Bat that is 2005--almost 2006.

I would look to M-Audio for some interesting boxes. We're waiting on reports about their CF hard disk recorder. I know a few people who have ordered them over on the Ampex mailing list. Alas, it has just been confirmed that the first shipment of these have 30V phantom power, not 48V.

Cheers,

Richard