Re: [ARSCLIST] USB/Firewire v PCI card was : [ARSCLIST] Reducing soundcard/cir

Firewire has the bandwidth to do over a hundred tracks of 24 bit audio - USB barely four channels! And USB 2 is no better for audio than USB1 as I understand it - just not precise enough timing information to move audio in real time.

USB is barely adequate for audio, in other words. Even on Windows...

SPDIF, AES and lightpipe still need the circuitry to get it into the computer - whether USB, firewire, or PCI.

Being a pro audio engineer and not an archvist, I will stop there for now...

Lou

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689