Re: [ARSCLIST] Transferring wax cylinders

Hi, Steve --

Steve Ramm wrote:

> In a message dated 9/7/2005 10:22:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > One  of our clients has a collection of rare wax cylinders he
> > would like
> > to have  transferred into the digital domain. These are of one of
his
> > ancestors who  was apparently a renown opera singer in Edison's day.

> One area that was only slightly mentioned in a response Steve
> was that the
> definition of "rare" has to be taken into context. While you
> did not state the
> artists name (I guess I can understand why),

Actually, I didn't know the name at the time of the original post. I
subsequently found out. He turns out to be Guido Ciccolini.

Apparently, it's not a large library. Maybe a total of 20 recordings
between cylinders and 78s -- and they have likely been played.

> it may be that
> your client has a
> COMMERCIALLY made edison cylinder which has already been transferred
> commercialy  to digital! Remember there are many "RAre"
> copies of "I'll Take You Home
> Again  Kathleen" on Ebay! <vbg>

This is entirely possible. I think they are Edison cylinders as the
artist had a recording contract with Edison.

> Also, if the performer's name was posted there might be
> people with OTHER
> recordings of your client's ancestor.
>
> Just some thoughts from a non-technician.

I'm sure my client would be thrilled to find out he can listen to
transfers of recordings that he does or does not have. He won't play the
cylinders himself.

This is not a commercial interest for him. Ciccolini was his
grandfather. Pursuing this is not really business-related for me either.
My business is high-quality analog-to-digital transfers of multitrack
tapes. Once I understand the options, I will direct him to the
appropriate facility where they specialize in this type of transfer. I
thought this list would be a good place to gather info for him. I have
not been disappointed!

Best,

-- Steve

Steve Puntolillo
Sonicraft Inc. - Analog and Digital Audio Services
http://www.sonicraft.com