Re: [ARSCLIST] Transferring wax cylinders

Steve Puntolillo wrote:

I'm sure my client would be thrilled to find out he can listen to
transfers of recordings that he does or does not have. He won't play the
cylinders himself.

This is not a commercial interest for him. Ciccolini was his
grandfather. Pursuing this is not really business-related for me either.
My business is high-quality analog-to-digital transfers of multitrack
tapes. Once I understand the options, I will direct him to the
appropriate facility where they specialize in this type of transfer. I
thought this list would be a good place to gather info for him. I have
not been disappointed!

I had provided Steve with a bit of information on Ciccolini from K&R, a standard reference (Grosses Saengerlexikon). A bit more: 1885-1963, debut in 1907, modest career until one season 1918-19 in Chicago but nominally continued until retirement in 1930. A friend of Rudolph Valentino, Ciccolini sang at his funeral in 1926 - probably his greatest claim to fame.

Given those dates, I hope to find him in the logs, then on the recordings of the Diamond Discs. That won't be easy since the logs are extensive and handwritten, though I've a good photocopy.

I have checked for his 1908-09 HMV recordings without success. K&R reports both cylinders and discs for Edison, but I have no cylinder source material handy.

An invaluable reference is Chris Zwarg's discography at
  http://www.truesoundtransfers.de/disco.htm

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx