Re: [ARSCLIST] Gates transcription turntable

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, John Ross wrote:

> A lot of that old technology was indeed wonderful -- RCA ribbon
> microphones, McIntosh tube amplifiers and so forth -- but Gates
> turntables ain't in that category.

I am reminded of a purchase I made back in the early 70's. It was a set of
the 16 inch discs in the series, Masterworks from France. I paid a radio
station $25 for the 300 or so programs and for $5. they included a Gates
turntable. As I recall, the turntable was heavier than all of the
discs...and, as noted, the rumble was unbelievable.

Karl