From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karl Miller
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 1:48 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Gates transcription turntable

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, John Ross wrote:

> A lot of that old technology was indeed wonderful -- RCA ribbon
> microphones, McIntosh tube amplifiers and so forth -- but Gates
> turntables ain't in that category.

I am reminded of a purchase I made back in the early 70's. It was a set
of the 16 inch discs in the series, Masterworks from France. I paid a
radio station $25 for the 300 or so programs and for $5. they included a
Gates turntable. As I recall, the turntable was heavier than all of the
discs...and, as noted, the rumble was unbelievable.

Karl