Re: [ARSCLIST] Gates transcription turntable

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

> I worked for McCurdy in the early 1980s, and by that time, the
> "McCurdy" turntable was a Panasonic SP-10 mounted in a clever, highly
> isolated frame.

Not a bad little machine..there may still be one in CBC Toronto's Master Control
for "emergency" use. We had them at CHFI in 1980-1....the varispeed came in handy
when the all-night classical program was overbooked with commercials (just shave a
half minute off Beethoven and nobody'll notice). Having 45 rpm on that machine was
occasionally a disadvantage when the operator would play a whole piece at the wrong
speed, not notice because the difference between 33 and 45 is a 4th, and wonder why
the show was fifteen minutes short (this really happened.....the op didn't know
anything was wrong until she decided to use the next cut as filler, and it was
Belshazzar's Feast).

dl