Re: [ARSCLIST] Gates transcription turntable

It's hard to think of a good reason to spend any kind of money
restoring a Gates turntable. As a category, the performance of those
old rim-drive transcription turntables was much worse than later
direct-drive and belt-drive machines, and among the transcription
tables, the Gates turntables were notorious for rumble problems --
much worse than comparable turntables from Rek-o-cut, McCurdy, RCA or
Fairchild . They might have been okay for heavily-processed lo-fi AM
radio circa 1958, but most FM stations that cared about  sound
quality got rid of them as soon as a practical alternative became available.

Even if you need a turntable that would play 16-inch transcriptions,
there are much better alternatives.

A lot of that old technology was indeed wonderful -- RCA ribbon
microphones, McIntosh tube amplifiers and so forth -- but Gates
turntables ain't in that category.

Gates Radio made a full line of radio studio equipment, from
turntables and consoles through to transmitters. It's my impression
that much of their market share was achieved through creative
financing of package deals -- buy everything from us and we will give
you a good price and affordable terms -- but they were never the
choice when quality was more important than price. Based in Quincy,
Illinois, they were widely known as "The Quincy Tin Works."

Disclaimer: I'm talking about their reputation in the 1960s and 70s.
Gates is still in business, but their designs and quality levels are
almost certainly better than they used to be.

John Ross