Re: [ARSCLIST] Little azimuth trick

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Chris @Eugene wrote

> Hi,
>    The normal correct procedure, according to service
> manuals, is to adjust for maximum signal strength,
> before "fine-tuning" with a Lissajous pattern for
> phase relationship. It is possible to get the
> correct Lissajous pattern at less than maximum
> signal strength azimuth adjustment.
>    Usually what I do is watch the signal strength
> on an audio voltmeter or the o'scilloscope. Adjust
> for maximum amplitude, then you can "tweak" it
> very, very slightly for the proper Lissajous
> pattern.
>    Hope this helps.
>
> Chris
> @eugene-audio

----- this is what we all do. However, Richard took the signals from the
"edge" tracks (i.e. those almost ½ inch apart), realizing that the 1 kHz
signals (a _low_ frequency) were in phase in all channels, and generated the
Lissajous from these. This is a good (and novel) way to obtain precision. The
need for obtaining a maximum amplitude reading does not arise at this low
frequency - you cannot tilt the head so much that you get an erroneous
"lower" maximum at this frequency, unless it is a monitoring tape at very,
very low speed.

Thank you, Richard, for this neat trick!

Kind regards,

George