Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

At 02:02 PM 6/25/2005, Goran Finnberg wrote:
Richard Hess:

> I do see energy above 20kHz on some early 1970s
> tapes of carousel-type band organs when their
> little shrill bells go off.

I don´t doubt that, though I wonder how much of that is clean signal and
how much is pure distortion because something in the chain couldn´t
handle the very steep rise of HF level?

I don't know and I've got to get through many transfers before I spend lots of time playing.

BTW, this incistense that greater than 44.1 is needed for anything done
seriously is imo a truly moot point.

I know. Clients like it though.

I wonder what the originator of this thread uses for tape playback? Right now my band organ tape (yet another) is coming off my A810 (shares heads and electronics modules with your A820s). Right now I still have the stock transformer line amps in my production A810s, but recently bought some transformerless ones that will go in shortly.

Of FAR greater audible impact is the product of force and mass ie my
Stax Lambda Pro headphones with the SRM-1/MK2 driver sounds head and
shoulders above any electrodynamic headphone ever made.

The same VERY audible difference can be heard between an AKG D224E dual
element dynamic mic flat to 20 kHz compared to a Neumann KM84 capacitor
mic so frequency responce while of some importance simply cannot compete
with a truly proper reproduction of the musical onset transient which
the electrostatic principle do in a way that makes my AKG K240DF sound
wooly and impactless.

Right, and my Mackie HR-824s which apparently compare favorably to Magneplanars (by a self-described "audiot" friend) sound head and shoulders above my AKG K240DFs in terms of definition __in my new room__ that was designed by me, but with significant input from a nameless, but well-known, acoustician. The good points are his, the mistakes are mine.

So much for frequency response.

I adopted using almost exclusively capacitor mics in the 1970s - though I stayed with AKGs. The early C451s (before they added the ugly peak) sounded very good and were a third the price of the Neumanns. I only own one dynamic, a Sennheiser MD 421 I do have a TLM103 a pair of 414B/ULSs (not my fave) several C451s (6?) and a pair of MKH416Ts. If I were to do serious recording, I think I'd get a pair of DPA omnis, but only if I was recording in great acoustics that I wanted to capture.

Yes, I can hear the difference, and I prefer small-diaphragm mics to larger diaphragm mics (though I have both). However, when you take the transient response that we both love and measure the frequency components needed to pass the transient, don't we see some >20kHz energy? In other words, isn't that transient waveshape modified if we brickwall at 20kHz?

That goes back to why there are controlled rise times in the video measurement pulses (at least here in NTSC land). They are not just pure square waves. And the video bandwidth of some of the early Image Orthicon cameras was in the 9-10 MHz region which was why they looked gorgeous (and detailed) in the studio and less so after a 4.5 MHz transmission channel (your numbers will be a bit different, but the same idea).

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/