Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

At 12:57 PM 6/25/2005, Goran Finnberg wrote:

BTW, there´s a fallacy in what you state Richard.

Most cartridges used acts as LP filters with an electrical cutoff no
higher than 20 kHz, MM cartridges, and those that have a wider
electrical response, MC cartridges, have in most cases seen a mechanical
cutoff at close to 20 kHz which MM cartridges have too.

I've gotten into this discussion with Larry Miller on the Ampex mailing list, and I think there was a compromise. I have Stanton MM cartridges (and an Ortofon MM somewhere).

So how did the RCA CD4 quad system work? (I know, not very well which was one of the reasons it went kerphlop)

I also think that some/many of the people making this claim are doing flat transfers and then digitally applying the proper (RIAA-or other) EQ.

I do see energy above 20kHz on some early 1970s tapes of carousel-type band organs when their little shrill bells go off. Eric has done the work on discs, not me. I'll let you and Eric discuss this in more detail.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/