Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

At 06:53 AM 6/25/2005, Don Cox wrote:
On 25/06/05, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> Unless you're planning on digitizing the bias, I don't see the need
> for recording at a bandwidth that the reproducer isn't reproducing.

Is it possible to digitize the bias? I would expect the player to filter
it out, but if you could capture it, it would be useful for correcting
speed variations.

That's what Jamie Haworth is doing with his Plangent Processes (sp?). It's a very nifty algorithm that is based on Michael Gerzon's initial speculation in a paper in the 1970s (or early 80s). He's added stuff to the Gerzon work and he uses more than bias. He uses special recorders and special heads. I think Chace Productions in Burbank have it available.

As to the click energy, Goran, think of this. If the audio goes to
say 12K and you digitize to 20K that gives you 8K of scratch energy.
If you digitize to 40K it gives you 28K of scratch energy to use to
differentiate...but perhaps even a better way of looking at it is
that the scratch is more faithfully reproduced so it's easier for the
software to find if you're digitizing with a 40K rather than a 20K bandwidth.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm