Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

Richard Hess:

> I do see energy above 20kHz on some early 1970s
> tapes of carousel-type band organs when their
> little shrill bells go off.

I don´t doubt that, though I wonder how much of that is clean signal and
how much is pure distortion because something in the chain couldn´t
handle the very steep rise of HF level?

BTW, this incistense that greater than 44.1 is needed for anything done
seriously is imo a truly moot point.

Of FAR greater audible impact is the product of force and mass ie my
Stax Lambda Pro headphones with the SRM-1/MK2 driver sounds head and
shoulders above any electrodynamic headphone ever made.

The same VERY audible difference can be heard between an AKG D224E dual
element dynamic mic flat to 20 kHz compared to a Neumann KM84 capacitor
mic so frequency responce while of some importance simply cannot compete
with a truly proper reproduction of the musical onset transient which
the electrostatic principle do in a way that makes my AKG K240DF sound
wooly and impactless.

So much for frequency response.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther