Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold DVD-Rs

At 09:07 PM 5/26/2005 -1000, David Lewiston wrote:

Since we will need to undertake this work in the next couple of months,
there's no time to wait for the results of the very careful tests which I'm
sure you will be undertaking. So we'll need a quick & dirty test. What do
you think of getting DVDs of a handful of brands, burning them, then leaving
them in direct sunlight until they're no longer playable? With a gold CD as
a comparison?

Others will have authoritative replies; mine is informal and without quantitative support. FWIW, I suggest that that test is of little or no value.

Your test examines photosensitivity. It would be relevant if you were
storing the discs in sunlight or examining them frequently in a carbon arc.
My understanding is that the killers of interest in the real world are
time, temperature, oxygen and moisture.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/