Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold DVD-Rs

Well, if you are concerned about light stability then this could be a quick
and dirty test. I don't think light stability is that much of an issue
since discs are not normally left out in sunlight or room light. The bigger
concern is thermal stability of the dye. Now the discs will heat up in the
sun and so there would be a thermal aspect to your test, but you will not
be able to differentiate what caused the degradation. If it was light alone
you may rule out a disc that is quite stable under standard storage
conditions.

That being said, and if you can't wait for a more scientific approach, I
would choose a disc that survives a torture test like the one you propose
over one that doesn't.

Joe

             David Lewiston
             <david.lewiston@v
             erizon.net>                                                To
             Sent by:                  ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Association for                                            cc
             Recorded Sound
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx         Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold DVD-Rs

             27/05/2005 03:07
             AM

             Please respond to
              David Lewiston
             <david.lewiston@v
                erizon.net>

Hello Joe

I'm getting ready to make digital transfers of my archive of analogue
recordings, and DVDs will be one form of storage for the transfers. So this
MAM announcement is very timely. Obviously, stability (the best dye) and
durability (a metallised layer that won't rust) are key considerations.

Since we will need to undertake this work in the next couple of months,
there's no time to wait for the results of the very careful tests which I'm
sure you will be undertaking. So we'll need a quick & dirty test. What do
you think of getting DVDs of a handful of brands, burning them, then
leaving
them in direct sunlight until they're no longer playable? With a gold CD as
a comparison?

Salutations, David Lewiston
The Lewiston Archive, Recordings & Documentation of the World's Traditional
Music