[ARSCLIST] screeching reels

I have just started a project digitizing old reel to
reel tapes.  The first of the reels began that awful
screeching/squealing sound that we all know and hate
about half-way through, and this of course distorts
the recording I'm making on the computer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix the
tape to make the screeching stop?  Even a temporary
fix would be acceptable, as long as it gives me time
to get the sound off the reel.

Oh, and the tapes aren't that old, really; the stack
I'm going through now was recorded in 1991.  My guess
is that they were stored improperly at some point.

Thanks,

Trey Bunn
Folklife Resource Center
McKissick Museum