[ARSCLIST] powder-like substance from open reel tapes

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a powderlike substance from
open reel tapes from the early to mid 1970's. The brand of tapes are
TDK. The powder has been gumming up the machine's transport yet has not
impeded play or audio quality. When I go to rewind a tape however, it
slows the machine and prevents a full rewind at which time I have to
clean the machine. The powder is a yellowish-brown and while it is on
the guides and heads of the machine looks organized but scrapes off
into a power. If you have heard of or experienced this problem please
respond and let me know what I can do about it or what effect it may
have on my machines or the tapes in a long term storage situation.
Please ONLY helpful, polite inquiries.

  thanks,
John A. Loy
Audio Preservation Engineer