Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

I don't understand this at all.  Unless you plan on releasing a CD commercially, why would you ever worry about putting a label on it?  CD-Rs already have something close to a unique number printed on the inner ring.  And you only need to worry about exhausting the possibilities of this coding system if you plan on making more preservation copies than that particualr system will afford.  For example, how many discs with the code "3231 2226 2369" you you forsee running across at your institution?  My guess is very few, unless of course you're the kind of lab that pumps out hundreds of CD-Rs a week.  And even then, it would be a small enough count to easily distinguish between any collection items that happen to share a particular inner ring code number; especially since the kinds of labs that tend to do such high volume work--i.e. those that are most likely ! to run across an inner ring code twice--typically ship their work off to several different clients when finished.  A such, high volume labs do not often deal with the management and cataloging of recordings (and their subsequent codes) after they've been created.

And this is to say nothing for the fact that the time it takes to print ink labels on discs is time that could just as easily be spent making tranfers, doing restoration work, or performing QC.

-- Brandon

----Original Message Follows---- From: Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx> Reply-To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx> To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:53:21 -0700 At 01:25 PM 9/28/2004 -0400, Steven Smolian wrote: >I was referring to labeling devices that print directly on the CD >surface. >Paper labels are a serious no-no. As is ink-jet printing unless one is assured that the ink is safe. I'd also suggest waiting for Jerry's input on this. Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/