Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

Balancing the relative importance of belt, suspenders and buttons gives a
good starting point.

Here is my own instinctive weighing of the importance of the three basic
components

Surface    50%
Coating    25%
Dye, US storage conditions    25%

This is assuming the surface will not oxidize, the coating will not be
penetrated by the inks used in printing label information on it, and the dye
is the most stable available within the perameters of casually aware storage
conditions.

The slam-dunk is probably the gold surface.  Is there an argument against
this being an inflexible requirement?

Coating strength and longevity are related to how the disc is labelled, what
inks are used, and how finely applied.

The relative importance of these components will change in, say, a poor, wet
country in the equatorial belt with intermitent electrical power.

One further thought.  How well do the discs perform when recorded at slower
speeds when designed for higher writing speeds?  Are slower writing discs
available or, if so, how likely is it they will continue to be so?  Is their
recorded quality affected by the three components we are discussing?

Steve Smolian