Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

At 10:41 AM 9/28/2004 -0500, Karl Miller wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Steven Smolian wrote:

> Coating strength and longevity are related to how the disc is labelled,
what
> inks are used, and how finely applied.

Why label? Is this not taking a chance that the ink will compromise the
coating...and even worse, applying a label which will peel over time?

As we are often told, the only safe marking is on the clear area near the hub. However, if the disc is labelled - whether with ink or an adhesive - then Steven's observations are valid.

It is not obvious to me that thermal printing has the issues Jerry has
reported; if not, that may be a more practical solution. If thermal
printing also damages (or risks damaging) the data quality, then a code
written on the inner ring may be the only viable solution for archival
storage on optical media.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/