Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

At 02:41 PM 9/24/2004 -0400, Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

NIST just put a good document on storage and handling and the AES/ISO Joint
Technical Commission is currently working on a Optical Disc storage and
handling document.

As far as "archival" is concerned, on the Joint Commission, we've been
trying to do something about putting a reasonable definition in the "Terms
and Definitions" section of a number of AES, ANSI and ISO standards
documents for years.  Unfortunately, the response we've gotten has not been
promising.  Trying to define "archival" at this point impacts too many
previously published documents and , frankly, has too many political
ramifications in the industry for a "formal" definition to pass the
standards voting process any time in the near future.  This is why we have
had to make do with phrases such as "medium-term life expectancy" and
"extended-term life expectancy".  You might notice that these phrases don't
seem to have been picked up in advertising literature.  Oh well, a consensus
on what archival means when referring to media would be really nice and I'm
certainly open to any suggestions on how we all could get such a definition
into a published standard.  Any ideas?

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/disc_care/index.htm is the second link on my page of URLs, following one to OSTIA. I assume that that is the document to which you refer.

A practical term, not already preempted, should be available for
"archival". Perhaps just "extended-life". True definition in terms of
testing is probably not achievable; perhaps one could specify it in terms
of required components. For example, at least two of gold alloy reflector,
durable overcoating, phthalocyanine dye. ("Durable" could be defined in
terms of test; alloy in terms of gold content.)

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/