Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio Material Assessment Survey

Hi Allison

I try to avoid trusting tape boxes and reels, unless I have
documentation that tells me these recordings were indeed recorded on
this particular tape.  For whatever reason, tape reels do end up in
different boxes and on different reels, especially when stored tailout,
the preferred way, and the takeup reel is just an odd spare reel.

Also, unless you have good documentation giving details of speed and
content and when you play it back it is actually what is stated, I would
not assume that just because the first 2 minutes plays at 7 1/2ips, that
the whole reel is going to play at this speed.  I have had many reels
that start at, for instance, 7 1/2ips, then they change to 15/16ths and
end on 3 3/4ips!  Plus, they have been recorded on both sides.  Ideally,
playing the whole tape through will give you a much better picture of
what you are up against.

I have also dealt with many tapes that are spliced.  Not only has the
tape type been different but the thickness of the tape is also
different.  The tape started out being 1.5ml but has a section of 0.5ml
spliced into it.  This means that your durations will differ.  For
example, a 7 inch reel recorded at 7 1/2ips on 1.5ml tape will be about
30 minutes.  But, a 7 inch reel recorded at 7 1/2ips on 0.5ml will be an
hour and if it is recorded on both sides then it will be 2 hours in
length.

Hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse you more.

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist
Mississippi Department of Archives & History
200 North Street
Jackson, MS, 39201