Re: [ARSCLIST] -Misspellings corrected. Historical off air recordings. Boston Symphony Orchestra broadcasts.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Mike Richter wrote:

> At 10:55 AM 3/22/2004 -0600, Karl Miller wrote:
> >On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Mike Richter wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure of the purpose of your note, but it should be recognized that
> > > the BSO is one of the more aggressive institutions in suppressing copyright
> > > violations.
> >
> >But happily, if they are over 50 years old, they can be released in
> >Europe.
>
> True, but they cannot be sold in the U.S. - and, technically, they are not
> legal even for an individual to import.
>
> Fortunately, that law has not been enforced where the purchaser was not a
> reseller.

Most fortunate from my perspective. Yet, I wonder, who has responsibility
in that instance. For example, I bought the Naxos issue of the Bartok
Concerto for Orchestra with Koussevitzky conducting by purchasing it at
Amazon.uk  I had it mailed to me. Strictly speaking, was I breaking the
law by ordering it, or was Amazon breaking the law by sending it to me.

Karl